Old 15-05-2006, 04:04 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default Alternative to Oleander

In article ,
wkn123 wrote:

Does anybody know of a plant that will grow similar to oleander that
will grow in the Austin, TX area? Im looking for something that grows
mostly up, flowers would be nice too.

Thanks,
Lk

Mexican Oregano.

Blooms all year with little purple trumpet shaped flowers. Very pretty
and gets to be about 3' or so tall over a few years. Mine started as a
4" pot 4 years ago and is close to 3' tall now.

Unlike Oleander, they are not only not poisonous, they are edible and
make a wonderful culinary herb. Water needs are minimal and the usage is
similar to marjoram or italian oregano.

Canna lillies also make nice border "hedges" and bloom all year, but
freeze back in the winter.
--
Peace!
Om