Old 15-05-2006, 06:38 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default light lamp to overcome dormancy and aid in cuttings ulmus racemosa; seed and cuttings

Now my Rock Elm seed were all green when I planted them last Friday and
7 days are near approaching for today is Monday and I do not expect any
to germinate by Friday.

I expect this because the book says they need to be dry. But I wonder
why seeds need to be dry instead of green? Has anyone given a science
explanation or is this merely someone's wishy washy attitude.

I planted them green because I am under the suspicion of keeping the
procedures as close to what Nature provides and Nature does not take
time out and time off and dries the Rock Elm seed.

Contrary to drying the seed before planting, I suspect that the green
seed aids and facilitates germination in that some of the greenness
goes towards the aid of germination. Has anyone really studied the
science process of green to dry seed and whether it aids or hinders
germination.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium