Old 15-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Dave Roberts Dave Roberts is offline
Registered User

Location: Lincolnshire coast, UK

Many Thanks Nick - Will spread it around. Can't beat the Victorians for
knowing what they are doing.

Whilst on this, (allelopathy ? ), subject may I mention the vine Solanum
Crispum - 'Glasnevin'. For myself I would take a lot of convincing that this
does NOT poison its immediate root area. I have on three different occasions,
in three diferent gardens, lost substantial shrubs, - Viburnum tinus, Berberis
darwinii, and such like, by a process of gradual die-back, when close to it.

Although I like this vine - and it has its uses, I would never plant it in the open ground again. In a container, maybe.
Dave
Dave