Old 15-05-2006, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bees

Nick Maclaren writes

In article ,
K writes:
| mrs-baggins writes
|
| Is it possible that what you saw were mining bees?
|
| Not the slightest possibility.

Anyway, as I posted, bumble bees usually nest in the ground.

These weren't nesting or nest visiting - it was purely that they were
chasing pollen on effectively subterranean plants (any plants which put
their heads up above the surface get scrunched by the sheep). If you
recall, I was talking about the grykes in limestone pavement - we're
talking about crevices about 6 inches wide going down anything from a
few inches to several feet.
--
Kay