Old 16-05-2006, 08:06 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default light lamp to overcome dormancy and aid in cuttings ulmus racemosa; seed and cuttings

Of the 24 cuttings made last Friday, only 11 are not wilted and one
which is nearest to the lightlamp is sprouting a preexisting bud. I am
hoping that elm is like willow cuttings that lose all their old leaves
and sprout new leaves, along with, of course new roots formed.

Taxus cuttings on the other hand kept all their old leaves when forming
new roots. But maybe all the hardwoods lose their leaves.

None of the 150 seeds have done anything, but this is just day 4 for
them.

I am beginning to think that the best way to tell apart species of elm
is from their seed. It is easy to distinguish Rock Elm seed from the
other elm species. In fact, on my trip to the Newton Hills State Park,
I kept looking on the ground for fallen seeds to tell me if the tree
was Rock Elm. The Rock Elm in Ponca State Park Nebraska looks like a
American Elm in form and shape and has no corky branches, but the seed
cases is distinguishable.

I am resting most of my hopes on the seed and little if none on the
cuttings.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium