Old 16-05-2006, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default SOIL POISONING by BEECH TREES

In article ,
Dave Roberts writes:

| Whilst on this, (allelopathy ? ), subject may I mention the vine
| Solanum
| Crispum - 'Glasnevin'. For myself I would take a lot of convincing that
| this
| does NOT poison its immediate root area. I have on three different
| occasions,
| in three diferent gardens, lost substantial shrubs, - Viburnum tinus,
| Berberis
| darwinii, and such like, by a process of gradual die-back, when close
| to it.

I have never seen that, and there is still a possible physical
explanation! It is a moderately drought-resistant plant, and could
well be good at extracting water. B. darwinii, at least, isn't as
nearly as drought-resistant as its leaves would imply.

From a gardener's point of view, there is little difference.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.