Old 16-05-2006, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
readandpostrosie

Default Help! Ground Cover ? Rookie

thanks!

Interesting, but by "familiar", I mean a plant I've taken warm showers
with.
Met in person, grown for a number of years, like pachysandra. I had it
at my previous house, in a spot where huge icicles formed in the winter.
I'm talking about 10 lb chunks of ice. They'd fall on the pachysandra.
On warmer days, water would drip all over the plants, and freeze at
night, encasing the plants in ice. I think they could put up with a
stupid dog who didn't know that plants aren't meant to be stomped on.

how does pachysandra work in partial shade?
do deer eat it?

My neighbor's got a big patch of it. The deer don't seem to be touching it
at all. 30 feet away, they made a mess of my garden last year, so I know
they're here. Actually, the *******s stand right in my yard and look at me
like I have no business being there.

The plant does fine in full shade or sun. In the previous house, it got
about 2 hours' worth of sun in the morning. My neighbor's gets about 4-5
hours of sun. I don't see much difference in the growth habits, although I
haven't inspected hers that closely (yet).