Old 16-05-2006, 07:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma

Default Squash and compost

"tenacity" wrote in
ups.com:

Ok guys. My roomate explained this to me, and I REALLY want
her to be wrong.

If I use grass clippings as mulch in my garden, am I just
planting grass in my garden?

if they are mowing thier lawns on a weekly basis there is
very little chance of getting seeds, & more importantly, ripe
seeds. no seeds, no grass growing in the garden.
of course if you are at all worried about weeds growing, put
landscape paper (not fabric) under the clippings. the paper
biodegrades in a year or so. (just don't even *try* to put it
down if there's even a slight breeze. it is a PITA)

It breaks my heart to just throw it into the compost.

proper compost shouldn't take *months* to break down. maybe
30 days or so... but it takes a bit more work that just piling
up kitchen scraps & grass clippings.
lee
--
"Fascism would be better described as corporatism,
since it is marriage between the state and business"