Old 16-05-2006, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook

Default Germinating squash seeds

On Tue, 16 May 2006 04:34:25 GMT, Salmon Egg
wrote:

Some time ago, I posted asking for advice on how to germinate squash seeds.
I followed the suggestion of soaking the seeds in a solution of seaweed
extract and water. It has been a week, the seeds have swelled up, but no
germination yet.

I looked at a peat pot with some jiffy mix and a seed that has been sitting
around for about month. I have neglected it of late because of the seeds'
refusal to germinate. It was almost dried up. To my surprise, it germinated.
I transferred the pot into my hydroponic grower.

So, do I have to stress the seed with low moisture after soaking? Does the
seed have to be kept above room temperature? What is the secret? I see
squash plants for sale all the time.

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush

My references say it takes 7 to 10 days for summer squash to
germinate. Longer if it is cool.
--
Susan N.