Old 16-05-2006, 07:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tim

Default Getting rid of bamboo

- Tom - wrote:
"The Addison's" wrote in message
. ..
Can anyone tell me how to get rid of bamboo, permanently, without having
to pull it up. I live in east-central Georgia and have quite a bit in my
back yard. We just purchased the house a couple of months ago and would
like to be able to have use of all the back yard. I've been told if you
cut the stalk it will just grow right back. I've read that bamboo is a
grass, and thus believe the advise about it growing back after cutting it
down. Are there any chemicals, or sprays, that would kill just the bamboo,
and not the rest of the grass?

TIA,
Hawkeye65

Here, read this:
http://www.americanbamboo.org/Genera...ingBamboo.html.
A method I've used to control/kill noxious weed trees such as maple and
sumac is to quickly cut through the small tree or sapling then, within
seconds, paint the cut surface with a concentrate of glyphosate straight
from the bottle. I was also wondering if a basal bark application of
glyphosate or trichlopyr would work.

Tom

Tom, would that approach work on Poison Ivy vines? I have quite a few
vines that are easily 3 inches in diameter climbing the trees here.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the bamboo thread as I am taking notes on
that as well.

Thanks