Old 16-05-2006, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

Default Poor drainage

On Mon, 15 May 2006 15:15:34 +0000, davejoemeg
wrote:

I have a problem with poor drainage from my lawn. I have dug a soak away
but still the rain water does not go away. The house & surrounding area
is built on clay which is very deep, I know this from the amount of
digging I have done in it. Does anyone have any idea's ?

There are several solutions, but the picking the most effective one
will be based on the specifics of the area. One solution is to add
layers of soil to the lower areas--you can add 1/2" at a time to a
lawn area without disturbing the existing grass. Of course, this
means you must have a mound of soil to use. If your situation is
really bad, you may need to re-grade the entire area, then re-seed the
lawn. If you pick this method, this would be an excellent time to add
organic matter, such as mushroom compost, to the soil and till it in.
Another method is to install a perforated pipe and have it drain off
to another area.