Old 17-05-2006, 07:34 AM
Pest Effects Pest Effects is offline
Registered User

There's no doubt that there is a pest aspect of grey squirrels, particularly where they damage trees, predate on small birds and chew up garden bird feeders. However, I would not wish to see the grey squirrel controlled and I think that a lot of the 'countryside do-gooders' who are promoting this are wrong. As you have said Angus, the grey squirrel is now native to the UK and is part of the ecology of the UK. As with most ecological systems, they become balanced if man doesn't interfere!

On a personal note, my summer 'el fresco' breakfasts on the patio, would not be the same without the grey squirrel's company! It rather annoys me to hear that some of my near neighbours have joined the 'trap and kill the squirrel' campaign..... especially when most of them have cats!!