Old 17-05-2006, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default aerial roots packed with spagnum moss

Nick Maclaren writes

In article ,
K writes:

| My understanding is that "ordinary garden moss" IS sphagnum moss! It
| may not be as luxuriant as that which I am going to be squidging through
| this weekend and next week (Rannoch), but it is a sphagnum moss
| nonetheless.

Dunno. I have been on the look out for a suitable book on British
non-vascular plants for some years, but they all tend to be trivial
(glossy and information-challenged) or learned (big and expensive).

I had a quick look through the Roger Phillips book (glossy and
information challenged, though better than most), and none of the 8
species of Sphagnum illustrated had any indication that they might be
found in lawns.

(To my untutored eye, there were an awful lot of mosses which looked
like Sphagnum but weren't, but I haven't a clue about how the taxonomy
of mosses works)
--
Kay