Old 17-05-2006, 10:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

Default Squash and compost

"tenacity" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok guys. My roomate explained this to me, and I REALLY want her to be
wrong.

If I use grass clippings as mulch in my garden, am I just planting
grass in my garden?

I have an awesome arrangement with my neighbors to get their lawn
clippings, so I have piles and piles of fluffly, beautiful lawn
clippings - and more coming every week, as my neighbors mow their
lawns. I don't want to put them in the compost since they will take a
few months to degrade, but I REALLY don't want to plant grass in my
garden.

It breaks my heart to just throw it into the compost.

Why? if there is a chance of seed in the clippings a nice hot compost is a
good way of killing them. One thought, maybe check out what your neighbour
has in his/her lawn. If there are weeds you are concerned about you can make
an informed choice.If in doubt your choice to take them, reject them or hot
compost them.

Another point, if you really like the grass (and it sounds that you do), a
few stray seeds in the garden that you can lightly hoe out when they
germinate may not be a big price to pay.

rob