Old 17-05-2006, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default aerial roots packed with spagnum moss

In article ,
K writes:

| I had a quick look through the Roger Phillips book (glossy and
| information challenged, though better than most), and none of the 8
| species of Sphagnum illustrated had any indication that they might be
| found in lawns.

I stand corrected, and a quick check confirms that. Apparently the one
that I thought was a sphagnum is Rhytidiadelphus squarrosus, and it is
not closely related. Anyway, from a gardening viewpoint, it can be used
interchangeably!

| (To my untutored eye, there were an awful lot of mosses which looked
| like Sphagnum but weren't, but I haven't a clue about how the taxonomy
| of mosses works)

I have a clue, somewhere, but can't find it just now :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.