Old 17-05-2006, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul

Default Advise on wind tolerant plants please

On 17 May 2006 07:30:30 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Paul writes:

| South west, warm , wet and salt-laden, VERY WINDY, in the
| aforementioned part of the garden that is.

Wind, per se, causes damage only physically, by breaking branches,
shredding leaves and rocking the plant breaking its roots. Dry
winds can kill by desiccation and cold ones by 'wind chill' - both
a minor problem with me, but not you. The salt is likely to be the
problem.

Look for plants that are both salt- and wind-resistant, and look up
what was planted at Inverewe for windbreaks. There are books on
that garden.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks for the info, my guess from the above is that desiccation and
wind chill are probably the cause as plants in the south of garden and
the front garden are both doing fine. My runner beans are 2ft high :-)

Paul