Old 17-05-2006, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default Interesting worm facts

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
ups.com...

George.com wrote:
[...]
Birds stamping on your lawn are good guides to worms.

or they may simply be having a tantrum because there is no tucker in the
lawn for them.

What interests me, though only mildly, is what made you think that a UK
gardening newsgroup needed somebody to announce that earthworms are
essential in a healthy soil.

what makes me think that people will be interested? I suppose because I
found it interesting and I thought others may as well. Because whilst I am a
big fan of worms there was stuff on the webpage I did not know. Other people
may not have known it either. Because quite often I find useful or
interesting info or links provided by users of this newsgroup and I thought
this would be interesting and maybe useful for others. And finally, it was
only in starting to understand the work worms and other organisms do in the
soil that I actively sought to encourage them and look after my soil and
gardens. Maybe someone else who didn't know much, reading about the top
class work of worms, would actively seek to encourage their development.
People on this newsgroup seem to have a diverse knowledge of gardening and
garden matters. Some know it all, some are learnign every time they log in.

Whilst not wanting to second guess you Mike, I would make these additional
comments. Whilst the webpage does mention NZ worms specifically, many of the
comments are applicable to worms worldwide. I doubt NZ worms don't realise
they are kiwis nor British worms that they are poms. Secondly, many of the
people popping in to this newsgroup are not brits. They/we pick up what is
applicable to our gardening circumstances and contribute what they/we think
may be applicable to yours.

I hope that clarifies it for you.

rob