Old 17-05-2006, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning

Default Fragrant rhododendron, Zone 5

wrote:

My neighbor has a 12-foot evergreen rhododendron which perfumes her
entire 2-acre property. It has light pink large flowers with yellowish
throats. A single spray has scented my entire house. The fragrance
is heavy and rich, like honeysuckle. Some people would find it too
strong, but I just love it. We are in NY state, Zone 5. She has had
this shrub for at least 25 years so it definitely can take cold and
heat. The leaves are glossy and rather a light green. I took a
picture of the blooms but it is (A) a very large image that you
should not attempt to view if you're on slow dial-up and (B) a little
washed-out due to the flash on my digital camera. I would gladly order
one of these plants if I could identify it, and wait a couple of years
till it blooms. If you are willing to take a look, here is the link:
http://www.mahopachills.org/chris/FragrantRhodie1.jpg

Here are some possibilities.

1) One possibility that looks exactly like your photo is "Dexter's
Honeydew":

http://www.rarefindnursery.com/index...il/product_id/
2726.htm

One thing bothers me, Dexter's Honeydew is not really a Zone 5 plant.
It has a rated hardiness of -10F.

2) A better plant for zone 5 is another Dexter, "Janet Blair".

http://www.rarefindnursery.com/index...il/product_id/
3410.htm

It is hardy in Zone 5, being rated at -20F.

3) Perhaps more fragrant and almost as hardy is "Cadis".

http://www.rarefindnursery.com/index...il/product_id/
2695.htm

It is hardy to -15F. Here is a picture of Cadis that looks similar to
your photo:

http://www.rhododendron.org/descriptionH_new.asp?ID=438
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6