Old 17-05-2006, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Interesting worm facts

George.com writes

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

George.com wrote:
[...]
Birds stamping on your lawn are good guides to worms.

or they may simply be having a tantrum because there is no tucker in the
lawn for them.

What interests me, though only mildly, is what made you think that a UK
gardening newsgroup needed somebody to announce that earthworms are
essential in a healthy soil.

what makes me think that people will be interested?

That wasn't Mike's question ;-)

His question was why did UK gardeners need to be told that worms were
good (implication - it's something we know already). I suppose one
answer to that would be that every now and again we have people asking
how to get rid of worms and worm casts in a lawn, and an occasional
poster who gives advice on removing worms from lawns.

Whilst not wanting to second guess you Mike, I would make these additional
comments. Whilst the webpage does mention NZ worms specifically, many of the
comments are applicable to worms worldwide.

In terms of numbers of species, I gather that there are few UK imports
to NZ, but in terms of numbers of worms, particularly in heavily
populated areas, UK imports and the species that have spread worldwide
dominate. So there would seem to be a lot of relevance.

--
Kay