Old 17-05-2006, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Advise on wind tolerant plants please

In article ,
Paul writes:

| Thanks for the info, my guess from the above is that desiccation and
| wind chill are probably the cause as plants in the south of garden and
| the front garden are both doing fine. My runner beans are 2ft high :-)

As I told you, no, they aren't. If either of those factors were severe
enough to damage Chamaecyparis badly in a wind tunnel, your runner beans
would be dead, Dead, DEAD even in still air. As I said, neither fact is
a significant issue in the south-west, though both are minor (and ONLY
minor) ones in Cambridge - and here is a LOT colder and drier than it is
with you.

My garden got down to -10 Celcius one night last winter - even with a
howling gale, Chamaecyparis isn't going to be damaged by above-zero
temperatures. Dammit, C. lawsonii grows in Blair Atholl! And it is
even more implausible that it was damaged by a drying wind in the
south-west, unless it was unable to take up water through its roots,
due to deeply frozen soil, a near absence of water in the soil (either
of which is immediately fatal to runners) or severe root damage.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.