Old 16-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

Default Pressure treated wood?

suspect you will find many opinions on this one......would I use
it....definitely yes.....because of the controversy surrounding its use I
would line the inside of the raised bed with a heavy duty black plastic.as
well as on the underneath where it comes in contact with the
ground.......one Extension service I know uses it without the liner.....for
a number of years mine were made from new pressure treated wood and to the
very best of my belief I have not suffered one iota from its use.....no
longer have those beds cos I moved locations but the new owner still has
them and is very much alive and kicking....can I say more?

HW.
"DavesVideo" wrote in message
I have a lot of old 6 by 6 pressure treated wood that came from terraced

flower
beds. I was assuming that because of the arsenic content, I could not

recycle
these for a raised vegetable garden. However, after doing a bit of

research on
the net, I find that there is a difference of opinion with some people

claiming
that the arsenic leach is negligible. Others recommend sealing the wood

with a
coat of paint as an added protection. I guess I'm looking to see how other
gardeners feel about this subject. Another factor, and I don't know if it

is
of any relevance, is that the wood is probably more than 15 years old.
Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave