Old 18-05-2006, 12:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

Default Poor drainage

"davejoemeg" wrote in
message

Phisherman Wrote:
On Mon, 15 May 2006 15:15:34 +0000, davejoemeg
wrote:

I have a problem with poor drainage from my lawn. I have dug
soak away
but still the rain water does not go away. The house &
surrounding
area
is built on clay which is very deep, I know this from the
amount
of digging I have done in it. Does anyone have any idea's ?

There are several solutions, but the picking the most
effective
one will be based on the specifics of the area. One solution
is
to add layers of soil to the lower areas--you can add 1/2" at
time to a lawn area without disturbing the existing grass.
Of
course, this means you must have a mound of soil to use. If
your
situation is really bad, you may need to re-grade the entire
area, then re-seed the lawn. If you pick this method, this
would
be an excellent time to add organic matter, such as mushroom
compost, to the soil and till it in. Another method is to
install
a perforated pipe and have it drain off to another area.

Thanks, I have tried a perforated pipe but to no avail. I
believe
the water has no means of escape & as my lawn is west facing
the
specific area in question does not get much sunlight. I have
been
told that bruching sharp sand into the lawn may do the trick?

What does "brunching" mean?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5