Old 18-05-2006, 02:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

Default Another Compost Question?

"Bill R" wrote in message
O'boy! wrote:
Is is OK to use new compost as mulch on Vegie plants .

The compost has completed it's cycle, and is no longer hot. I have
made more this year than I really need for planting, so I was
wondering if it would be beneficial to use it as mulch??

Thanks! O'boy!

I put new compose around my Tomato plants every year and I have never had
a problem.

You might want to try it on just some plants just to make sure it is not
too rich

Great idea. In a climate where you get just one chance per year to plant
certain things, test something on your precious plants. Not good. Instead,
spread it around those plants, but imagine an 18" radius around the stems.
Keep it outside that radius. For tomatoes, that's a pretty safe margin. For
plants whose diameter is smaller, shrink the circle.