Old 18-05-2006, 12:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Alien Conservationists

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "michael adams" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "michael adams" contains these words:

I suggest you console yourself with the fact that life
forms of one form or another, all the way up from trilobites
through woodlouse and silver fish equivalents, all the way
up to cats and squirrels and chimpanzees co-existed
quite happily for 350 million years, prior to man's arrival
on the scene.

That simply isn't true. Species did not anthropomorphically "co-exist
quite happily", they predated on each other.

And in order for them to predate on each other....

The "quite happily" refers to the equilibrium which necessarily
existed between them, not to their emotional state in any
anthropomorphic sense. In terms of their continue existence
as species, this co-existence with other species was "fortunate",
"happy", "convenient", whatever.

Herbivores happily coexisted
with grasses etc. Grazing by herbivores was beneficial to grasses.
Both in terms of manuring and promoting growth by constant pruning.
Carnivores preyed on herbivores. Bacteria and fungi consumed dead
carnivores. The bacteria from rotten carnivores and herbivores *
fixed atmospheric nitrogen in the soil which also fed the grasses.
A bit simplistic but there you go. All happily coexisting. Species
died out, of course they did. Nobody denies that.

But the fact that before man evolved, so many other species became so
unfortunate, unhappy, inconvenient ( "whatever") that they died, rather
undermines your theory of universal bliss. Disequilibrium happens.

No. What I'm saying is that all the ones that were living were
co-existing at the time, and all the ones that were co-existing
were alive at the time.

quote

6.4311 Death is not an event in life: we do not live to experience
death. If we take eternity to mean not infinite temporal duration
but timelessness, then eternal life belongs to those who live in
the present. Our life has no end in just the way in which our visual
field has no limits.
quote

L.Wittgenstein Tractatus L.P. p.72 trans Pears & McGuinness

What goes for humans goes for all other forms of life as well. They
never lived to experience a state of disequilibrium.

Many became extinct (for
various reasons) long before man came on the scene; we only know of
their existence from fossilised remains.

Indeed. But any life forms which did exist, we can assume must
have co-existed in a state of equilibrium with some other life
forms. Be they bacteria, viruses, trilobites, insects, plants,
animals etc. Or maybe only different strains of bacteria. All
quite happily co-existing. La de da!

Are you saying they were posh, as well as blissfully happy?

quote

Annie Hall's dialogue is among the most memorable facets of this
jewel of a film. for instance (you will have to imagine how Keaton
stretched out the syllables):

Alvy: I think you're pretty lucky I came along

Annie: Oh, really? Well, la di da, laa di da

quote

http://triviana.com/film/afilm/annhall.htm

Annie Hall and Wittgenstein in one post. Top that McLaren.

* carrion

Ah, yes..let's never forget about *carrion, another whiffy notion that
bit the dust and fell apart some while back.

:~}

Janet

I lean towards "came crashing down around your ears" myself, but there
you go.

michael adams