Old 18-05-2006, 08:37 AM posted to aus.gardens
Terry Collins

Default Gutter guard?

Shaw wrote:

I was thinking now would be a good idea to put some sort of gutter guards in
those areas of the roof. I am hoping to do it myself since the scaffold is
there.

Tile roof?
There is a fine mesh (plastic {:-( product that I think is best as it
goes between the outside of the gutter and over the top of the first
tile. Lets the water through easiest and keeps the most leaf/organic
matter out.

any 1/2"x1/2" stuff will not have any use what so ever.

The problem is that the minimum slope tends to collect fine organic
matter that muclches down. You either need a little machine to patrol
your gutter and sweep it down the down pipe, or a way of power flushing
your gutters regularly, or to get up there and clean it out.

hmm, perhaps you could install roof safety anchors permanently for
walking along the roof to do this every quarter {:-).

Personally, I think you need a 12" wide gutter, dropping 1 foot every
ten so that whatever drops into is flushed down the downpipe. Then have
a filter system at the bottom if you are going to collect it.