Old 18-05-2006, 06:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

Default Fennel versus other plants question

But what a lovely "weed", and very easy to remove when young. Also,
the airy yellow flowers are delightful and birds love the seeds. I leave
them all on for the pleasure of watching the birds eating them.

I'm glad the birds like them as I am trying to put more stuff in the
garden for the wild life. I have never seen a fully grown fennel for
real yet, only in photo's. I think they will look great in the border
when they have grown a bit. I'm sure I'll need to keep them down
though as I have six plants at the moment scattered throughout and if I
let them re-seed I may be over run with them.

If you have a load of fennel, cut a large handful of leaves, spread
it in a dish and lay fish on top. Dot with butter and season, cover
loosely with foil to keep the fish moist and bake in the oven. Lift the
fish off the fennel and enjoy.

We like fish so I will try that Janet, thanks.

Gail