Old 18-05-2006, 01:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Default what to do about mites in a home environment?

Ok, unfortunately I am beginning to suspect that my orchids do have mites!
:-(

1) the honeydew -- I have seen some on the corners of the leaves of the one
that has had lots of honeydew in general
2) there was a spider web on this orchid as well

What do I do now? Please remember that I live in a condo, so spraying with
pesticides is not an option. Also how quickly do I have to act? I do not
know whether I will have time to treat all 51 orchids + the bay leaf tree in
our condo this upcoming weekend (not sure whether I ever will have the time
to do it come to think of it, given my 5 months old). The orchids generally
appear healthy for now, but I know that if they indeed have mites this won't
last. Yikes!

Given the two points above, is there any chance that it's not mites after
all? Even a remote one? How do I tell for sure? I would so like to avoid
having to treat my entire collection, but I don't want to loose it either.

Joanna