Old 18-05-2006, 12:30 PM posted to austin.gardening
Gary Brady

Default Alternative to Oleander

Scott Harper wrote:

Got any special tips for making the cuttings? I cut a handful of newer growth
and put in water to root. But they never did anything. The bottoms of the
stems looked like they were rotting apart. Maybe I need an older, more woody
stem?

I'll second the suggestion though. I planted a twig last year (that had
already been rooted) -- it was a single stem less than a foot tall. By this
year it is about 3 feet tall and around, and growing daily. And the deer
didn't mess with it at all. I had a small oleander planted, and while they
didn't eat it, they pulled it up.

The only "downside" is that vitex drops its leaves in the winter while
oleander doesn't.

scott

I took some twigs, treated them with Rootone, and put them in wet sand,
IIRC. Seemed to take a little while, maybe a month, before the roots
appeared. I'd pick woody twigs about 1/8" in diameter. CHaste trees
can be transplanted with sucess, too. A local water line laying
operation dug up a large one and left it laying. I snared a piece with
roots about 3' tall and it's still growing in my yard.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX