Old 18-05-2006, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default Interesting worm facts

"K" wrote in message
George.com writes

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

George.com wrote:
[...]
Birds stamping on your lawn are good guides to worms.

or they may simply be having a tantrum because there is no tucker in

the
lawn for them.

What interests me, though only mildly, is what made you think that a UK
gardening newsgroup needed somebody to announce that earthworms are
essential in a healthy soil.

what makes me think that people will be interested?

That wasn't Mike's question ;-)

His question was why did UK gardeners need to be told that worms were
good (implication - it's something we know already).

his question was actually 'what makes me think that people on this newsgroup
need me to announce that worms are essential'.
I guess I slightly misread his question. What makes me? Nothing, I never
assumed I did need to tell worm lovers that they needed worms in their soil.
I did preface my post by saying that if people thought worms were an
optional extra the info would change their mind. Obviously those who know
the benefits of worms would understand clearly and simply nod their head in
agreement if they looked at the webpage. People who know all about the
benefits of worms may simply have skipped over it. So be it, clearly their
prerogative.

If they did check it out they may have been surprised about some of the
facts. I was. That is where the interest factor may have come in.

I also pointed out my previous ignorant ways. I presumed people would act
much like I would when faced with such a statement, nod their head and
acknowledge someone is learning about the wonders of natural cycles. I
certainly didn't expect people to treat it as a lesson on how to suck eggs.
Maybe some people get a little bristley when they think people are trying to
tell them something they already know. Not my intention to do so anyway. I
would be surprised if people did take it that way, given the general
willingness to share info and advice on the newsgroup. I have not detected
any 'know alls' on the group. I do admit however Kay that I could be wrong.

As for UK imports to New Zealand, if you think only a few you are wrong. Try
loads. Unfortunately when your ancestors (and mine) came to this country in
succeeding generations they brought a large chunk of England with them. Some
of what they bought is good and nice and worthwhile. Some of it was darn
right destructive and a living legacy of the mistakes of our fore fathers
(not that they would have known any better mind). As a nation NZ suffered a
dramatic change to its natural landscape over a short period of time. Quite
a bit of damage was done and we are still putting it right. Thats a by the
way discussion however.

rob