Old 18-05-2006, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val

Default Question about Sweet Peas and Forget Me Not

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
nk.net...
If I have to put them on the east
side of the house which has the most room, will they bloom with only half
a day of sun?

Sweet peas do best with FULL sun for most of the day. I've planted them in
partial shade and got leggy pitiful plants with sparse blooms. Make sure you
pick them as they bloom, once they start setting seed pods they quit
blooming.

2. The Forget Me Not packet has the usual, says it's a bienniel. Does
that mean it takes until the second year to flower?

I tossed a pinch of Forget Me Not seeds in each of my larger
containers.....(I grow everything on my small balcony -5x7ft- and all are in
containers; trees, shrubs, climatis, roses, fuschias and the usual
annuals)......and a few bloomed the first year and I have had enough
reappear every year for the past 5 years that it's a yearly ritual to thin
them ruthlessly and they are still thriving. I get both pink and blue all
from the same "blue" packet. Must be the soil ph I assume. They do make a
lovely filler though. I have several roses in containers and the FMN make a
nice addition to fill in empty spaces. I personally do not practice
moderation in gardening. As long as they get fed and watered everything
grows in abundence. The FMN also look pretty in boquets and last quite well.
I don't have a whole lot of room for plants that require full sun right
now

There are lots of plants that flower in the shade and those that also have
colorful foliage. Go to the library or do a Google on shade gardening.
You'll be amazed! Good luck!