Old 18-05-2006, 10:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross

Default IRIS problem

Dave_s wrote:
I have about 14 IRIS in my full sun center garden in San Fernando Valley
near Los Angeles Calif. I divided and replanted these in November of
2005 and have been watering and feeding all winter. Only 4 plants
produced flowers.
Following Scotts bulb plant food directions, I recently fed these in
spring. Any idea what I can do to produce any flowers this spring or
insure I get more flowers next spring? Can IRIS still produce flowers
this season?

Thanks, dave_s

When you plant them, the rhizome should be horizontal (which might mean
the fan of leaves is tilted). They should be planted very shallow; the
top of the rhizome might even be exposed.

To promote flowering, you should dig bone meal or superphosphate into
the planting hole. To prevent burning the already injured roots, you
should then add plain soil (no fertilizer) before setting the rhizomes
in order to keep the fertilizer from direct contact.

Be careful to avoid over feeding. Iris are not heavy feeders. Too much
nitrogen can cause the plant to rot.

I'm about 5-15 miles west of you, depending on where in the Valley you
are. My iris are blooming right now.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean