Old 18-05-2006, 11:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Fragrant rhododendron, Zone 5

Wow, that Dexter's Honeydew is "IT". I saw the picture and there is no
question. Thank you, Steve! We are really a zone 5B here. -10 is a
complete rarity, normally -2 is all we ever dip down to,and that only
every 4 yrs or so. Based on the photo I am going to order a Dexter's
Honeydew and take really good care of it.
I am so happy to have found what I think is the answer. Last year I
tried to propagate cuttings, under glass jars in sterile rooting medium
etc., in several environments around my house and garden. I read a
ton of info on it, and did everything the best I could, but no
dice. And the parent plant has such woody bottom branches there was no
question of doing root-layering from a green branch, the way you
sometimes can.
To anyone really in a true Zone 6 -- you gotta try one of these. You
will astonish yourself and your neighbors too. Chris