Old 19-05-2006, 12:33 AM posted to aus.gardens
James McNangle

Default Gutter guard?

"Shaw" wrote:
I am looking for reommendation of the BEST product;
- That will last forever (as the roof will not be easy to get to once the
scaffold is gone)

We have several roofs, both concrete tile and metal, that have a relatively low
pitch. These tend to accumulate a lot of leaves, and I was for ever having to
get up and clean the gutters. When I did I would take up a straw broom and
sweep all the litter off the roof. A couple of years ago I had something -- I
think the name actually was Gutter Guard -- fitted, and hadn't been on the roof
since. It was green plastic, with fine slits, and seems to do a fine job. A
few weeks ago I happen to look at one of the roofs and noticed that it was deep
in litter, with big clumps of moss. I know that if these get too big they will
dam the water and cause it to come through, so it was up on the roof with the
straw broom again.

So, if you have overhanging trees, there is no permanent solution.

James McNangle