Old 19-05-2006, 01:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook

Default using cut grass as mulch for vegetable plants

On Fri, 19 May 2006 05:58:07 -0400, Alan wrote:

My gardener, after having screwed up once again by not bringing enough
mulch for the vegetable garden, wants to put the grass he cuts in the
garden to prevent weeds.

For some reason I feel like this is a terrible idea. I don't like the
look and what if there are weeds with the cut grass that take root?

What do you all think?

Alan

We have used grass clippings for the last 25 or so years on our
vegetable gardens. The only thing to worry about is whether or not an
herbicide has been used on the grass. The grass decomposes well and
provides nutrients to the soil.

If you do no like the look, that is another thing altogether.
--
Susan N.