Old 19-05-2006, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Default what to do about mites in a home environment?

Keeping the carcasses out of Robert's mouth? Kenni

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Thanks, Pat, Danny, Kenni, and Joe T!

SNIP

if I did have spider mites in the orchids after all, could I buy ladybugs
and let them roam our condo, or is that a really bad idea? I know that one
can buy ladybugs for this purpose for greenhouse use, but why not for in
the home?

Aside from having ladybugs flying around, occasional ladybug carcasses on
carpet or elsewhere, the fact that the ladybugs would eventually either
escape through cracks in windows or die, what other problems would there
be with using this solution inside one's home? Is the issue that this
would not be an effective method? I was thinking that this could be a
fairly low maintenance approach to orchid pests, since I would think that
it would be easier and take less time than taking each orchid and spraying
it thoroughly outdoors, or the homeremedies which one would have to find
time to apply several times. I was assuming that if I found mites on this
one plant, I would have to treat them all to be on the safe side, and
treating 51 orchids and 1 bay leaf plant would take more time than I have
got on an average weekend. Time is one of my lowest commodities nowadays
and so if/when I do have any pests in the orchids I would want to use a
method of fighting the pests that would take the least time, and was safe
for the baby and us of course.

Thanks for your insights!
Joanna