Old 19-05-2006, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul

Default Advise on wind tolerant plants please

On 17 May 2006 17:32:28 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

Quote from Nick Maclaren:

"Dry winds can kill by desiccation and cold ones by 'wind chill' - both a minor problem with me, but not you."

Paul:
| Thanks for the info, my guess from the above is that desiccation and
| wind chill are probably the cause as plants in the south of garden and
| the front garden are both doing fine. My runner beans are 2ft high :-)

Nick:
As I told you, no, they aren't.

Yes you did see above .
If either of those factors were severe
enough to damage Chamaecyparis badly in a wind tunnel, your runner beans
would be dead, Dead, DEAD even in still air. As I said, neither fact is
a significant issue in the south-west, though both are minor (and ONLY
minor) ones in Cambridge - and here is a LOT colder and drier than it is
with you.

Why are all my plants including Chamaecyparis healthy in the less
windy areas of my garden and damaged in the windy areas. If salt is a
problem why are all the other plants not damaged ?.

Have you heard of the Venturi effect, force a volume of air through a
constriction and its velocity will increase and the pressure drop.

Paul