Old 16-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Frogleg

Default remodeling and people trampling plants

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 05:16:50 -0600, griffon
wrote:

Just as bulbs are beginning to bloom and perennials are starting to
slowly poke up from the soil, I have had a herd of wild carpenters and
roof layers wandering around all over the place.

snip

The problem is that remodling contractors are not, nor are they hired
as, horticulturists, arborists, or even careful, considerate guests. I
always remember this in 20/20 hindsight. :-( Sad as the lesson is,
one must learn to specify at the outset what valuable or cherished
planting areas are off limits. And expect that perhaps the contractor
will say, "I can't just tiptoe around and get the job done, so forget
it."

Make things as easy and obvious as you can. My car fits nicely under
the canopy of an old dogwood tree by the driveway. If I plan a
delivery by a cement truck, I'll have to trim the tree or specify (and
pay for) cement to be brought through by individual wheelbarrows.
Fence off truly verbotten areas with crime scene tape or something.
Try and view the project in terms of what the contractors will need to
do, and make it as easy as possible for them.

OTOH, make it clear that outrageous carelessness will be the subject
of litigation. Throwing heavy tools off a roof is *not* in the
contract. There needs to be reasonable accomodation on both sides,
somewhat short of standing guard over the azealas with a shotgun. :-)

Good luck with the siding.