Old 19-05-2006, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Layne

Default Bloodgood Maple

Hi,

Is your maple repotted or in the ground? If it's in the ground and
you're watering every day that is too much. I doubt however that root
rot will manifest itself so quickly. But, if your maple IS in the
ground cut back on the watering.

If your maple is in a pot, how big is it and what is it made of?
unglazed ceramic, glazed ceramic and plastic pots lose moisture at
different rates. Smaller pots will dry out faster than larger/deeper
pots.

If your maple was under shadecloth -- as is often the case at most
nurseries -- moving to an area that gets more sun can cause leaf burn.
Keep your maple *properly* watered and it should adjust by next year.
What you have to remember is plants are like us with regard to sun
exposure. If you're in an office all week and then go the to beach all
day on Saturday you'll burn too. Same with plant leaves. They need to
adjust to more sun exposure. Bloodgood is one of the more sun/heat
tolerant Japanese maples so your location should be okay.

I have a Bloodgood in a plastic 5 gallon pot that gets direct sun from
10am to sunset during summer months and as long as I keep it properly
watered it will show minimal leaf tip burn. Properly watered means
keep the soil moist. Never allow it to go completely dry but, don't
keep the soil too wet either.

Layne

On 18 May 2006 11:39:06 -0700, wrote:

I purchased a Bloodgood Japanese maple on Sunday, and it already is
experiencing leaf burn. What could be the problem, sun exposure or
water? The nusury worker we purchased from stated our sun exposure
should be fine, but I am worried it is the issue. it has full sunlight
during the late afternoon, and i am in zone 9a i think. (Martinez
California) It was perfectly healthy Sunday, and by Monday it was
having issues. We water it everyday as it has been pretty hot. I read
that salty water can cause leaf burn too, how can i tell if my water is
salty? Could it just be transplant stress?