Old 19-05-2006, 03:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

Default Bloodgood Maple

On 18 May 2006 11:39:06 -0700
wrote:

I purchased a Bloodgood Japanese maple on Sunday, and it already is
experiencing leaf burn. What could be the problem, sun exposure or
water? The nusury worker we purchased from stated our sun exposure
should be fine, but I am worried it is the issue. it has full sunlight
during the late afternoon, and i am in zone 9a i think. (Martinez
California) It was perfectly healthy Sunday, and by Monday it was
having issues. We water it everyday as it has been pretty hot. I read
that salty water can cause leaf burn too, how can i tell if my water is
salty? Could it just be transplant stress?

With all due respect to David, Japanese maples do just fine in your
area. There are people who grow successfully in containers in LA also.

If late afternoon means after 4, it is unlikely sun is the problem. Bloodgood
is very sturdy and doesn't burn that easily; it was selected for these
characteristics. Of course it is possible that you don't have a real
vegetatively propagated Bloodgood, but some sort of seedling. Check to
ensure that the maple is grafted.

John is right, you are almost certainly over watering. If you water large
amounts when the maple has sun, that could potentially cause leaf burn.
Also wind is the main enemy of these plants, although a drive home
with an open window is unlikely to have done much damage. I can't imagine
tap water in Contra Costa county is so salty that it would damage the
tree, anyway. Doesn't the main supply to SF go through there?

Planting depth could give eventual problems but not so quickly. Wind is
most likely, and can certainly cause burn. Though a true Bloodgood should
be reasonably resistant.

My advice is: if the tree looks like its defoliating entirely, take it back and
buy a different one from someone else. And water maximum 2/3 times per
week. Maples like dry feet.

-E

--
Emery Davis