Old 19-05-2006, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

Default Elder Disaster

Chris Bacon wrote:
wrote:
It may try to regrow from the bits of root that you can't dig out, but
I would not recommend a wild elderberry tree for a small suburban
garden. It is too much of a weed.

You can take them down yearly to about a foot high. That
works quite well, but as the OP ought IMO to screen off
the immediate view (and be screened) something else would
be better!

Which reminds me. I meant to ask when the subject last came
up...

Does elder flower/fruit on new growth (I assume it does), or
on last year's growth? (Or something completely different?)

James