Old 20-05-2006, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Why are my tomato seedlings wilting?

cloud dreamer wrote:
wrote:

My indoor tomato seedlings (four varieties, 2 heirloom, same conditions
as last year) started really slowly this year and now 4 weeks after
germination seem to be slowly wilting--bottom leaves first, no spots or
colour change, not falling over. Any ideas re what I can do? I used
potting soil--is that bad? Would my storebought manure or homemade
compost help?

Is the potting soil new? Potting soil contains enough nutrients to feed
a plant for a season, then needs to be revitalized or (as I do) dumped
onto the bare patches on my lawn or into some of the raised beds.

Other things that I can think of off the top of my head would be the
temperature (too hot in a window perhaps) and pot size...I use 30L
buckets. Tomatoes also like a slightly acidic soil so I usually add some
peat to my potting soil (and no lime).

Thanks, that's helpful--yes it is last year's potting soil. Is there
any hope for them if I transplant them into new stuff? Or feed them a
lot with extra nutrients?