Old 20-05-2006, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned

Default Killing off Horsetail

La Puce wrote:
Rick Hughes wrote:
I bought in 30 tonne of top soil last year, and noticed the mini
hill, has now sprouted a thick layer of Horsetail.
What is the best way to kill this ... I will not be growing

anything
on this soil for at least another 2 years .. so can afford to use
something strong on the stuff.

Thick, strong, expensive, durable, heavy, dark ground cover

material.
Cover the lot for two years and then dig out the dead weed )

A quick Google around suggests that a Glyphospahte (Roundup or
Tumble weed) or Dichlobenil (Casoron G) product should work ?
Anybody any experience of how good these are on Horsetail ?

No. Nothing kills horsetail but digging them out.

Ah, now that I would dispute.
I had an equisetum arvense problem in a border and between paving
slabs.
By spot spraying a mix of Roundup with washing up detergent added, I
have got rid of the lot.
The washing up liquid allows the mix to thoroughly wet the stems
whereas the Roundup would simply run off without it. Others advocate
crushing the stems to get the same effect. It did take two
applications spaced weeks apart. And don't pull up the apparently dead
black stems until they are brittle and can be brushed away.

--
ned