Old 20-05-2006, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

Default Hay mulch question

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"George.com" wrote in
:

Hay, a few questions for those who use hay as a mulch in
their gardens.

sensible people use straw, not hay.

cheap buggers, like me, are attracted to using free stuff. I will obviously
need to do some more research on what was in the hay, on the pasture, and
weigh up the risks. It is recommended as a, excellent mulch by the domestic
gardeners bible, the Yates Garden Guide first published 1895.

When you say compost it, are you meaning in with the rest of the mix or do
you have in mind some special process that will 1/2 rot the hay down but
keep it intact as a substance in its own right?

rob