Old 20-05-2006, 12:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Elbrecht

Default Tomato plants outgrowing cages

On 18 May 2006 16:06:49 GMT, Landrey wrote:

-snip-
Can anyone give me some advise as to what to do with these plants as they
outgrow their cages?

I roll my own cages using reinforcing wire. It has 6" holes & last
for many years with no protection. They are stiff enough that no
stakes are needed. I bought a 100' roll at the Lowe's store many
years ago.

I'm in NY so outgrowing a 5' cage is a rarity- but last year a Sweet
100 got to 8-9'. Whe it topped the 5' mark I just cut another 3'
cage, rolled it and wired it to the top of the original. If it had
gone even higher, I could have wired another atop that.

I use the soft wire found in the building supply store near the re-rod
and re-wire to connect the cages- and to hold them together.

I never need any wire to hold the tomatoes to the cages, they just
poke their arms through the holes and hold themselves up.

Jim