Old 20-05-2006, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
AndyS

Default Ever seen a rabbit do this?

Andy comments:

My neighbor had a big problem with wild pigs going into his
yard and night and ripping up the sod as they hunted for
grubs and whatever the hell else wild pigs rip up sod for....

His solution was to put up an electric fence wire about a
foot off the ground. It was purchased at a local farm supply
store... Typically they administer a high voltage shock which
is very very short at a rate of 3 to 5 shocks per second. It
is very annoying but not dangerous. You can test it by
touching it and savoring the unpleasantness, but it can't
hurt you because the shocks are so short. It is normally
used for horses and cattle...

Anyway, it solved his problem.... After 2 months, he took
it down, and the pigs haven't come back..... I suppose the
word got around in the wild pig world --- pigs learn very
fast.....

I don't know if it would work for rabbits, but I suspect that
if it were positioned properly , it might......

Andy in Eureka, Texas

( If you spread corn in your back yard so the wild
pigs will rototill your garden for you, you might
live in Eureka, Texas )