Old 20-05-2006, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dimple

Default Compost question

It depends on what time of year you started. Compost rots much quicker
during the summer months, and may stop completely in the winter. I find it
needs to be moist but not saturated - including a bit of water with your
kitchen waste but keeping the heap protected from rain seems to give about
the right amount of moisture.
I turn the heap once - this seems to be enough. You can put un-rotted stuff
in your next heap. Mine never looks like bagged compost but seems to do the
garden good all the same.

"Jewels" wrote in message
Hi folks,

How long does compost take to rot down to something useable on the garden.
I've been building up my compost bin for about the last 6-8 months.

Should it 'look' like the bagged compost when it is ready?

--
Jewelsx

Currently Undergoing Much Needed Restoration
lol