Old 20-05-2006, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Default Glyphosphate brand question.

In message .com, Mike
Lyle writes

Janet Baraclough wrote:
[...]
The article you quote, says

"The villagers quickly pointed the finger at a neighbouring farm whose
tenants were growing genetically modified soya, ENGINEERED TO BE
RESISTANT TO GLYPHOSATE. A month later, agronomists from the nearby
National University of Formosa visited the scene and confirmed the
villagers' suspicions. The researchers concluded that the neighbouring
farmers, like thousands of others growing GM soya in Argentina, had been
forced to take drastic action AGAINST RESISTANT WEEDS and had carelessly
drenched the land - and nearby Colonia Loma Senes - with A MIXTURE OF
powerful herbicides "

The implication in the above is that the weeds had become resistant
TO GLYPHOSATE, and therefore the farmers used something DIFFERENT , "a
mixture of powerful herbicides". IOW not glyphosate.

Interesting, though. I thought one of the claims for glyphosate was
that non-GM plants would not develop resistant strains. (Though I
believe there was some evidence of acquired resistance somewhere.)

Some plants are naturally resistant. In Canada Malva pusilla has become
a serious pest in fields planted with RoundUp resistant crops, and there
is concern about Malva parviflora in Australia. Epilobium is another
genus with resistant species.

In other plants resistance can be a result of selection, or of
hybridisation with the resistant crop. I don't think the RoundUp
resistant cotton or maize are likely to be problems in themselves, but
RoundUp resistant Brassicas don't strike me as a particularly good idea.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley