Old 21-05-2006, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Default fire ants

John A. Keslick, Jr. wrote:

Did you know fire ants kill termites?

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com
http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

"sawney beane" wrote in message

I live on the NC Piedmont. My yard gets tiny red ants with low mounds
about a foot in diameter. They swarm when disturbed. I understand it
takes an expert to see the difference between native fire ants and those
from Brazil.

I understand a 4% mixture of borax in sugar will kill fire ants if the
syrup is thin enough for them to suck. When I put some in a lid on the
mound, I discovered big red ants, that probably weigh ten times more
than the little ones, peacefully among the fire ants on their mound.

I thought fire ants didn't tolerate other ants. Was I wrong?

Walter R. Tschinkel from Florida State claims Fire ants eat termites.
But I admit I first heard it as a rumor.

http://www.bio.fsu.edu/faculty-tschinkel.php

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)