Old 21-05-2006, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Clueless farmer seeks advice

Hi TQ,

I'm always happy to hear from folks who have already been where I hope
to tread.

There are a couple of aspects to our situation that appear to be
especially favorable.

First, the property is on a rural stretch of busy highway. It has
great visibility and easy access. Therefore, if we can grow
significant volumes of quality produce it would seem to me that we
could market it on the spot.

While alone, that does not mean that we can compete with large scale
agribusiness, it sure seems that we can get to market without all the
"middle people".

But I agree that a niche market is the way to go. We just haven't
figured out what niche.

Another aspect of it is that we don't really have to live from this.
The fundamental reason for doing it is physical exercise and the
harmony of being closer to nature.

On the other hand if we can make some money at it that's great. But
it's not the driving force for doing it.

Thanks to everybody who's provided your point of view. I've learned
something valuable from every single response!