Old 21-05-2006, 07:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Reka

Default Colombian orchids

This is a snippet from an article about Medellin cocaine from the BBC.
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...nt/5000468.stm)
Somehow I find it hard to believe that last sentence. Does anyone know
any stats?

Reka

Colombia's 'lost war' against cocaine

By Matt Frei
BBC News, Colombia

In a damp tropical night the plane from Miami judders through the clouds
on its approach to Medellin airport.

Suddenly strange translucent patches come into view. Dozens of them in
varying shapes and sizes dotted around the hilly landscape like giant
stranded jelly fish, illuminated from inside, pulsating and sinister.

It turns out these are greenhouses. Medellin clings to the hills at
1,700 metres and at night the temperature drops by 10 degrees.

So the precious plants are kept reassuringly warm with artificial
sunlight under plastic tarpaulins and close to the airport to allow for
speedy delivery abroad.

The nurtured content is after all one of Colombia's most lucrative
exports, sold for astonishing profits all over the world.

'A humble weed'

I'm talking about orchids. Yes, orchids! Colombia grows 450 different
species of these delicate, exotic flowers. Seventy percent of the
world's orchids come from here.